A lot of people ask us what we’ll eat while in Antarctica. Overall we plan to consume 5400 calories a day, while we’ll burn around 7000-8000 calories. Yes, based on that math, we’re sure to lose weight!
Here’s what we’ve got packed for our 1050 calorie breakfast:
- Oatmeal with powdered whole milk, shredded coconut, almonds and butter
- Hot chocolate and Starbucks Via (Antarctica Mocha)
Since lunch is eaten on the move throughout our 8-10 hour day, we plan to consumer 2720 calories. Here’s the breakdown:
- Four bars a day (one chocolate bar and three others of different varieties)
- Bag of mixed nuts
- Bag of mixed cheese
- Bag of salami
- Piece of candy and powdered flavoring for water
At night we’ll warm up with a hot drink and meal totaling 1600 calories:
- Soup enhanced with dehydrated chicken fat
- Mountain House dehydrated meal with butter added
- Hot tea
- Pringles chips
- Occasional dessert as a special treat
In total we’ll carry 225 pounds of food between the two of us, which breaks down to about 2.5 pounds of food per person, per day, for 45 day.
We’ve tried to pack a balance of foods that are high in calories and fats, with enough variety to keep things interesting. I wonder what foods we’ll crave after a few weeks on this diet – stay tuned and we’ll let you know!
That looks like a practical and interesting selection of food. I do wonder, won’t the salami and cheese freeze into solid chunks?
Lots of luck to you both. BTW, I read about your adventure in the Hot Springs, AR Sentinel Record.
Again, good luck!
Hot Springs, AR